Italy - Bologna - A view of Bologna from the private Prendiparte Tower
A view of Bologna from the private Prendiparte Tower, Italy..Of the 100 original towers standing in the Felsineo center the Prendiparte Tower is one of the few remaining in Bologna. It is also one of the few that rises above the rooftops, while many others, decapitated during wars and battles, have disappeared within luxurious private courtyards. Thanks to the many phases of restoration and improvements that have rendered it once again inhabitable, "la Coronata" (the Crowned one) - a name linked to the crown-like decoration that embellishes the sides of the tower. Built in the 12th century by the powerful Guelf family Prendiparte, for a long time the tower was used as a military stronghold. In 1588 it was sold to the Mensa dell'Arcivescovado (Canteen of the Archdiocese and connected to the seminary located on the west side of the tower.) When the seminary was transferred to another location and the tribunal occupied the tower, the structure was transformed into a prison which operated for more than forty years (1751-1796).
Photo ID: SFE_090319_229